Friday, November 2, 2012

Podcast - EC3 Insight #1 - Heritage MS

View the EC3 Insight #1 - Heritage MS with Krista Gorzel and Deborah Schroeder
(Length: 9 mins, 46 secs)
(YouTube Link)

Welcome to a new podcast series that I'll be recording once a week with EC3 Cohort 1 teachers to feature the hard work they are doing!

Earlier today, Mary Ray and I had the opportunity to visit Heritage MS to join Deborah Schroeder and Krista Gorzel for a planning session. As a result, I had the opportunity to ask them to share a little bit of what they did earlier this week. As I mention in the video podcast--which I recorded, edited completely on my iPad, more info below--we had a great conversation about designing knowledge work that is at various levels of Dr. Ruben Puentedura's SAMR Model.

Both Ms. Gorzel and Ms. Schroeder pointed out that scaffolding student growth from substitution type activities to redefinition was dependent on the students' development of HOTS (my word, not their's) and growing familiarity with the iPads. Another neat idea that both of them shared involved students creating digital portfolios using GoogleApps for Education tools like Google Sites Wiki and Google Drive (to store the student creations or "artifacts"). This is a phenomenal idea!

Kudos to both of them for applying the Rubric (linked below) to their lessons and finding a way to transition from "substitution" level to "Redefinition" level!
Note: Only 1 minor glitch with the video recording...Ms. Schroeder was "muted" for part of her recording. Sigh. Fortunately, that means we'll have to do a follow-up visit! :-)

Relevant Links
  1.  Classroom Learning Activity Rubric
  2. SAMR Model related blog entries
  3. Apps that Ms. Gorzel Mentioned
    1. Keynote
    2. Puppet Pals
    3. Videolicious
    4. Scrappad
About this Video Podcast
Some have asked, "How do you prepare these podcasts using just your iPad?" Here's my response!

This podcast was recorded in several stages, all of them pretty easy! Here are the steps I followed:
  1. Using my iPad, I snapped a few pictures then loaded them into the Sonic Pics iPad app.
  2. Using the Sonic Pics ($2.99) iPad app, I arranged them in the order I wanted them to appear, then recorded the audio narration as I swiped through the pictures (very easy!).
  3. I recorded the teachers sharing about the lessons, student feedback, and actual student product.
  4. I opened up Pinnacle Studio ($7.99) and then imported all the pieces, adding title slides along the way.
  5. I exported the movie, then copied it to my computer using iFiles ($3.99). That process converted it to a mov video format.
  6. On my computer, I used MPEG Streamclip (free) to convert the video to MP4 and uploaded it to YouTube and to the District's video storage area.
  7. I wrote this blog entry and shared it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment