Friday, May 4, 2012

Getting to Know ECISD

As the new Director of Technology for East Central ISD, I've been amazed at the hard work and collaborative efforts among campus and district staff to make East Central ISD a welcoming, engaging environment for students, Community and, of course, staff!

Since I first arrived in the East Central ISD, I have observed how wonderful and welcoming everyone has been. Part of the "getting to know you" experience has involved visiting with campus and district staff, following Technology Department staff like Tom Grove (Network Engineer) into out of the way locations to see what the technology looks like.

Since the purpose of this blog is to reflect on my experiences here in East Central ISD, I hope you will find them worth reading!

GETTING TO KNOW THE HORNET
In my travels, as well as exchanges with campus staff, I've stumbled upon some interesting versions of the EC Hornet:

This is a picture of an image on a chair in the building across from the ECISD Police Dept building.
This iPad wielding EC Hornet was shared with me by high school staff
excited about the new District-wide iPad mobile learning initiative taking flight 2012-2013 school year!
 SPECTACULAR LIBRARIES
Undoubtedly, East Central ISD visitors know all about the school building whose walls are covered with beautiful designs and artwork drawn by a third grade teacher, Melissa Boone at Highland Forest. I had a chance to see those and snap a few photos:









PONDERING WRITING PROJECTS WITH PATTI REYES
As a writer, I am thrilled at the opportunities for enriched writing experiences that technology offers. I had the opportunity to chat with Patti Reyes, responsible for College Readiness as well as much more, about her vision for enhancing writing workshop with technology.

Patti has made an inviting environment for students to share their thoughts, as well as view the wall opposite these chairs below, replete with advice for students:



TECHNOLOGY CLOSETS
Of course, getting to know ECISD involves visiting a variety of "technology closets" where the heart of the network for a campus or department exists. Without the work being done in these closets, no one at a campus could connect to the Internet, share critical data!



The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of visits to various sites and personages in the District, and I am grateful for outgoing Director of Technology, Cathy Zotz, for taking the time to spend a few minutes each day walking me through every campus and district office.

No comments:

Post a Comment